Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Life with Reid. The first 7 weeks.

Oy, has it really been a month since I last updated? Believe me when I say that I haven't really had the time! :) There are no such thing as free hands when you have an infant, haha.

These first 7 weeks with our little man have been pretty much every adjective under the sun- overwhelming, scary, amazing, cherished, fun, adventurous...

As always, I'll keep things honest. I was a mess the first 2 or 3 weeks. I went from a very active 23 year old who loved to get out of the house, to a mother of a newborn, too scared and intimidated to go anywhere, but desperately needing the outside world. I felt like I had lost myself, I had lost "Breanna". She had been replaced by "Reid's mommy", and I didn't quite know how to adjust to that. Never in my life have I suffered from depression, and I don't think that this was depression, but it was certainly something. I realize now that I had a traditional case of the Baby Blues. I would cry at the drop of a hat, simply because I felt like I needed to cry. I wanted to sleep the day away, and it was nearly impossible to eat- not because I didn't have the time, but because I had zero appetite. I just wasn't myself. Thankfully, I had the love and support of those around me. Will was AMAZING. He would take Reid every night when he got home for work so that I would have time to eat and take a relaxing bath. Just those few moments to myself enabled me to rememeber that I still existed. The first Saturday that I took Reid over to my mom's house, she insisted that I go out to lunch with my friend Jessica, just the two of us, while she watched Reid. Even though these times were short, they were what I needed. I also found that by getting out of the house each day with Reid, even if it was just a quick trip to Target or to the coffee shop, I felt human again. Little things made a huge difference in my mood, and all of the little tips that I received from family and friends made a world of difference. The baby blues suck, but I hope that next time, I know how to deal with them better.
All of that being said, I was madly and instantly in love with little Reid. He was 7lbs and 14oz of perfection. True, honest perfection. He has been a fairly easy baby from the start. He loves to be held and really only cries when he's hungry or if he wants more love. Breastfeeding is a complete success and was never difficult for either one of us. Get this...he even sleeps through the night sometimes! What first time mom can say that after only a few weeks, she feels rested and full of energy? haha.

Will and I seem to have established a pretty excellent routine with him. Will is a very hands-on daddy. We are partners in everything involving Reid. Not only is this great for us individually, it's great for our marriage, and great for our son.

6 weeks flew by and I returned to work last week. Reid goes to daycare on Mondays and Tuesdays, Will watches him on Wednesdays and Thursdays, and my mom watches him in Fridays. Knowing that he only had to be at daycare for 2 days a week made the transition easier. I miss him terribly during the day, but I'm grateful for our arrangement. I am even able to go on Mondays and Tuesdays to feed him during my lunch break.

Here are some recent pics of our little man!










5 comments:

Rachel Elizabeth said...

I am so happy for you guys. Reid is beautiful!

Twisted Cinderella said...

I am sorry you had the blues, but I am glad you are feeling better now. He is absolutely beautiful!

Anonymous said...

It's nice to hear an honest experience, by that I mean yeah you adore your gorgeous baby, but it's not all roses and smiles, KWIM?

I knew baby blues were normal, but I know personally, I will read back to this post when my baby comes along, and re-read, just so I know I'm "normal"!

Love the update Bre! *huggles*

Anonymous said...

Thanks for being so honest about the first few weeks. It'll help many others in their first few weeks of mommy-hood.

Angela said...

keep up the honesty! I think many of us never hear what its REALLY like with a baby, it good to know.