Saturday, June 21, 2008

29 week update! Lots of fun stuff.

Sorry it's been so long since I last posted!

I am 29 weeks today, which feels pretty darn far along :) When I think that in only 8 weeks, my baby will be considered "full term", it really hits me!

Wednesday I had a routine OB appointment. I found out that I passed my Gestational Diabetes test which is great. I also found out that Reid has flipped around and is no longer breech! Everything is still looking great, I'm right on track in every aspect.

Later that night Will and I did our hospital tour. It was so cool! Talk about feeling REAL all of a sudden. haha.

I didn't realize how small our hospital is. There are only 2 floors, and the labor & delivery unit is super easy to find. There were 4 other couples, all pregnant with their first baby. Everyone was really nice. We met in the dining room where an RN spoke to us for about 45 mins. She started off on a bad note though, saying that the likelihood is that one of us in the room would end up with a C-section. Sounds about right, 20%....not a good number, but average for hospitals in the US. Then it got better- all labor/delivery and post partum rooms are private with full bathrooms. There are beds for dads, you can have as many people with you in the room as you like, baby is always placed on mommy's chest after birth as long as they aren't in distress, baby isn't taken out of the room or to a nursery at ALL unless the mommy gives permission. Baby stays with mom the whole time unless the mom needs a break, then the baby will go to the nursery. Nursing shifts are 12 hours and each nurse has only 2 moms at a time, tops. You are encouraged to bring music and other things that make you feel comfortable, like a birthing ball, etc. You are encouraged to walk around and move around during labor. By the time my due date comes up, they should have wireless external monitoring (even though I would like to avoid that as much as possible, only having it done occasionally). Their security features seem really tight.

The only things that bummed me out where that you "can't eat" (I say that in quotes because I will probably smuggle in some food in case I feel that I really need it, haha)- they only want you to have clear liquids like jello and broth. Also, I had no idea that an OB from my practice may not be delivering me. It may be a total stranger! I had NO idea and I'm stressing out about it a bit.

Other than that, it was great. I was really happy with the hospital after we left. It seems so private and intimate compared to most hospitals that I have been in. It's actually ranked as one of the top 100 hospitals in the entire country. Besides the c-section comments and the no food thing, they seem pretty progressive which I am happy about.

Today I went back in for our follow up 4D ultrasound (since last time we didn't get any good pics). It still wasn't the BEST, but it was better than last time. This time, Reid had his little face jammed down into my pelvis. It's ideal to have a good amount of amniotic fluid in front of the face for the imaging, but Reid had his face pressed against my uterus with very little fluid in between.

It was really cute though. When she was first looking in 2D, he was moving his little mouth like he was singing! She said he was yawning and swallowing. We could actually see his tongue in the 2D! We also saw him opening and closing his eyes! It was sooo amazing.

She also did some measuring for me because I was curious as to how large he is. From her measurements, his EDD would be Sept 3rd and he currently weighs 3lbs 3oz! She thinks that if he is born on his due date (Sept 6th) that he will be right between 7 and 8lbs! She doesn't think that he will be larger than 8lbs, and definitely not over 9lbs like his daddy was!

Here is what we got. As you can see, his little nose is squished in some of them, and in others, you can't really see his eyes/forehead because there was no amniotic fluid in front of it. I am still really happy with the photos- I think he is just adorable, and what a blessing to be able to see my son's face while he is still inside of me!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww.. you are getting too preggo! I haven't seen u in forever.. I can't wait for next weekend!!! I miss you lots!! and dude.. i totally agree with the food thing... they always think your gunna throw it up... but thats only when you go into like the later parts of labor and are about to deliver... right before I was admitted I was eating doritos and the nurse was like UMMM you shouldn't eat those lol!! If you happen to get the epidural... you can't eat.. YOU WILL FOR SURE THROW UP!! I ate right after... but the anesthesia hadn't wore off yet and I chuked it all up!!! BUT YAH sneek in some food!! lol...

Twisted Cinderella said...

I only had popsicles when I was delivering my dd. I didn't really miss the food though. Those are great pics!